Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Take My Hand


 

“Take My Hand” by Dolan Perkins-Valdez

Published by Berkley

Finished 2/7/23 – 3/4 stars

This is a very sad piece of historical fiction that I’m glad I read because it is a part of history I was unaware of.  I knew that some poor black communities had essentially been used as lab rats in the past, but I didn’t know that woman and young girls were being sterilized.  That is just horrific!  Not only does the US government need to stop interfering with women’s reproductive rights in general, no human should ever be subjected to medical practices of any kind against their will and/or without being given complete details of the situation to be able to provide knowledgeable consent. 

Politics aside, it was a good story.  I don’t think it needed the dual timelines of 1973 and 2016 though.  I think it would have been better to simply have one story in the 70s and then an update at the end to let us know what happened to everyone.  I felt like throwing a little bit about 2016 every once in a while just distracted from the main story.

 #TakeMyHand

#DolanPerkinsValdez

#Berkley

#BookoftheMonth

#2023Reads

#LynnsBookReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment