Saturday, February 4, 2023

Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story

“Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story” by Bono

Published by Knopf Publishing Group

Finished 2/4/23 – 4/5 stars

I fell in love with U2 when my brother went to college in ’84 and forgot the cassette tape of “U2 Live Under a Blood Red Sky” in the family “kid car” I took over.  I loved it the first time I listened to it and proceeded to buy more tapes and CDs over the years.  There were a few albums I didn’t enjoy as much, but I always remained a fan.  When I saw Bono put out a memoir, I knew I just had to read it.

One of the things I enjoyed while reading this book was that when song lyrics were included, I would sing along (in my head, of course) and my own personal memories related to the song would come to mind.  I got to revisit some of my past while learning some meaning and background into the making of the songs (and the band).  I also liked that he admitted to some of his personal flaws like his anger issues, making him not always the best bandmate.  The only thing I didn’t enjoy was in the middle of the book it got a little too political.  Bono is a huge activist so it was expected and needed to be included because it’s such a big piece of who he is as a person, I just didn’t enjoy it as much.  Overall, a great read though.  I definitely recommend it to any Bono and/or U2 fans.

#Surrender40SongsOneStory

#Bono

#U2

KnopfPublishingGroup

#2023Reads

#LynnsBookReviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment