Thursday, January 5, 2023

The Great Alone


 “The Great Alone” by Kristin Hannah

Published by St Martin’s Press

Finished 1/5/23 – 4/5 stars

 

Now that I’ve dried my tears, I can write my review. 

Ernt was a POW during the Vietnam War and came home with what is now known as PTSD.  His wife, Cora, stands by him through all his issues by holding on to the memory of the man he used to be and the love they shared.  Their daughter, Leni, loves to escape life by reading books (my kind of girl).  Ernt has trouble holding down jobs so when he finds out he was left a cabin and some land in Alaska he thinks this could be the fresh start they needed.  Sight unseen they packed up and headed north to start a new life.  They were completely unprepared for the challenges they would face and what their new life would entail but the friendships they make in this small village will help them survive while falling in love with the beauty of Alaska and what it has to offer.

I was too young to remember my life in Alaska but reading this book and increased my desire to find my way back there to explore all it has to offer.

Two favorite quotes

“In Alaska you can make one mistake.  One.  The second one will kill you.”

“A girl was like a kite; without her mother’s strong, steady hold on the string, she might just float away, be lost somewhere among the clouds.”

 

#TheGreatAlone

#KristinHannah

#StMartinsPress

#BookoftheMonth

#2023Reads

#LynnsBookReviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment