Monday, January 9, 2023

The House in the Pines


 

“The House in the Pines” by Ana Reyes

Published by Dutton

Finished 1/9/23 – 3/5 stars

 As an author’s debut novel, I think she did a pretty good job.  I just don’t think it’s worth all the hype it’s getting due to Reese Whitherspoon and her team choosing it for their bookclub pick.  I think the premise of the story is good but the ending was pretty lackluster.  You do have to pay attention while reading though because it flips between two different times, 7 years apart.  You may start a chapter thinking you’re reading about the current year but then a couple paragraphs in realize it’s actually the past (and vice versa).  The author also keeps you on your toes of not being quite sure if the main character is alcohol impaired, having drug withdrawal symptoms, or having a psychotic episode.  All are possible explanations for the thoughts going through her head.

 Whereas I didn’t fall in love with this book, I do see promise in the author and look forward to reading her next book.

 Thank you to NetGalley and Dutton for gifting me with an advanced copy to read and review (if I choose to).

 #TheHouseinthePines

#AnaReyes

#Dutton

#NetGalley

#2023Reads

#LynnsBookReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment