Sunday, January 15, 2023

The Night Travelers

 

“The Night Travelers” by Armando Lucas Correa

Published by Atria Books

Finished 1/15/23 – 3/5 stars

 

This historical fiction novel spans the years of 1931 to 2015, focusing on four generations of women with time spent in Germany, Cuba, and the United States (briefly).  There are plenty of historical events during that time period and the book touches on a lot of it – Hitler’s Nazis, the Cuban Revolution, the Nazi war crime trials, and the falling of the Berlin Wall to name a few.  I really enjoyed the 1st two parts of the story, but the 3rd part just seemed to drag on a bit more.

 

Something I’m embarrassed to say I learned, was the effect Nazi’s had on people of color during that time.  The focus has always been on the treatment and murders of the Jews, so it never occurred to me that black and biracial individuals were effected as well.  Obviously, not at the same level of magnitude but their treatment wasn’t any different because they didn’t fit in to Hitler’s “purity” vision either.  I guess in my mind, Germany was just all white at that time.  I need to go relearn some history.

 

Favorite quote – “There’s no better way to welcome someone than with books.”

 

Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for gifting me with an advanced copy to read and review.

 

#TheNightTravelers

#ArmandoLucasCorrea

#AtriaBooks

#NetGalley

#2023Reads

#LynnsBookReviews


No comments:

Post a Comment