Thursday, July 4, 2024

Dirt Creek

 

“Dirt Creek” by Hayley Scrivenor
Published by Flatiron Books
 
This is a sad and heartbreaking novel, but I truly enjoyed it anyway.  The story takes place in a small rural town in Australia where a young girl has gone missing.  From the first chapter you know she died but you then go back a few days prior to when she doesn’t return home from school and follow the investigation.  It’s told from multiple points of view, one being the collective “we”, representing the town’s children as a whole.  Reading those chapters took a little getting used to because initially I was trying to figure out who the “we” specifically was, which was distracting from the story.  Once I stopped trying to assign those chapters to an actual person it was fine.  Overall, I think it was a really good book that I recommend others read.  Just know, there isn’t anything uplifting – it’s not a “feel good” book.
 
This is the author’s debut novel. I just learned she has another one coming out at the end of this month that I’ve now added to my ever growing TBR list.
 
Finished 7/4 – 4/5 stars
 
#dirtcreek #hayleyscrivenor #flatironbooks #2024reads #lynnsbookreviews

No comments:

Post a Comment