Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Born a Crime


 

“Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood” by Trevor Noah
Published by Spiegel & Grau
Finished 7/4/23 – 3/5 stars
 
Although I’ve never watched a full episode of his Talk show, I’ve watched many clips on YouTube of the show and his behind-the-scenes pieces.  Through those I became a fan of him as a person.  One of my favorite things about this book is that it never touches on his current fame.  There is no bragging about his current lifestyle or accomplishments.  The stories are all about his life growing up in South Africa and the obstacles he had to either over come or simply live with.  He truly didn’t have a group he fully belonged to whether due to race, language, or class.  He was an outcast in many ways but found his way to success. 
 
Although I highly recommend it, the reason this is just a 3 star book for me is because I thought it was a little repetitive at times and that it bounced around a lot.  I just feel like the stories could have been pieced together differently for a better flow.
 
#BornACrime
#TrevorNoah
#Spiegel&Grau
#2023Reads
#LynnsBookReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment