Thursday, July 22, 2021

Dark Roads

 


“Dark Roads” by Chevy Stevens

Published by St Martin’s Press

Finished 7/22/21 – 5/5 stars


I’m so glad I was able to read this during my vacation because it was a hard book to put down.  If not, I’m sure I would have been tired every morning from staying up late reading and then sneaking in chapters while I was supposed to be working during the day.  It is a definite page turner that grabs you right from the start and doesn’t let go.

 

Although this is not historical fiction, the author was inspired to write it based on true unsolved crimes from the 70s known as the Highway of Tears in Northern British Columbia.  This story takes place in a small town in Canada where multiple women have gone missing or are found dead along a small stretch of highway.  In Part 1 we are introduced to a local teenager who recently lost her father so is living with her aunt and  husband, who just happens to be the most feared police officer in town.  In Part 2 we are introduced to a young woman in her early 20s who has come to town looking for answers to her sister’s murder on the highway.  And then Part 3 brings both storylines together, solving the mystery.

 

Although she has written many books, this is the first novel I’ve read by Chevy Stevens.  It will not be my last!  She definitely knows how to write a good, suspenseful mystery. 

 

Thank you to both NetGalley and St Martin’s Press for an advanced copy of the book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment