Thursday, August 6, 2020

A Lesson Before Dying



"A Lesson Before Dying" by Ernest J Gaines
5/5 stars
Finished 6/21/20 (catching up)

One of my daughters read this for her AP Lit class in high school a few years ago and loved it. I have been wanting to read it but have been in a terrible reading slump so hadn’t picked it up yet. That slump is definitely over seeing as how I read this book in a day. It took all day with life getting in the way, but I just kept picking it back up to read a little more and finally finished it. I absolutely LOVED it! The only thing negative for me was trying to read 9 pages of a diary written in Ebonics. That is hard for me to read so the book lost its flow for me as I struggled through those pages. All the other pages are absolutely fabulous so I can’t lower my rating simply based on that. Granted, maybe my rating is a little skewed due to emotions related to the current Black Lives Matter movement, but I’m OK with that too. Now is probably a good time for everyone to read it while emotions are high.

Fair warning – the n word is used throughout the book. It takes place in Louisiana in the 40s so it is historically correct to be there. Because of that it might be banned in some areas, which is very sad to me. They are missing out on a great book by not being able to see the significance of the word’s usage in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment