Thursday, April 15, 2021

My Own Words

 



“My Own Words” by Ruth Bader Ginsburg with Mary Hartnett and Wendy W Williams

Published by Simon & Schuster

Finished 4/15/21 – 3/5 stars for the book, 5/5 stars for the legend

I wanted to love this book as much as I loved Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and all she stood for but it fell a little short for me.  I still enjoyed reading it but I think I would have enjoyed a typical biography format more.  This book is a collection of her writings and speeches spanning her career as well as a couple editorials from her teens.  I definitely learned more about her involvement and beliefs through these writings but I feel we are missing out on her full personality by doing it this way.  I always saw her as a little firecracker, fighting for the underdog, and making sure women got fair and equal opportunities in life.  The firecracker piece just doesn’t come through in these writings.  You get a better insight into the lawyer and justice side of her but not as much insight into her as a person.  I still recommend it though.

RIP Justice Ginsburg.  Thank you for all you have done to better my life, the lives of my daughters, and the lives of others throughout the USA.


No comments:

Post a Comment