Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Paris Library

 


“The Paris Library” by Janet Skeslien Charles

Published by Atria Books

Finished 3/10/21 – 5/5 stars

When I picked up this book I didn’t realize it was Historical Fiction…..I just thought it sounded like a good story.  Turns out it is a WONDERFUL story and I learned something new as a bonus.  Not only did I not know about The American Library in Paris that recently celebrated its 100 year anniversary, I had no idea of the role its librarians played in World War II.  They sent books to troops and brought them to the local hospitals so that wounded soldiers could have some entertainment.  During the Nazi Occupation of Paris, these librarians also risked their lives to bring books to Jews and foreigners that were no longer able to enter the library. This is the telling of their love of books, people, and friendships.  And to top it off, there is a coming of age story mixed in to go with it.  Sometimes those types of side stories are a distraction to the main story, but not with this book.  They actually compliment each other well and give further insight into the main character.

I highly recommend this book.  It has great characters, beautiful descriptions, a nice flow, and quotes of other best sellers woven in.  Pretty sure the author is a big fan of “Their Eyes Were Watching God” – that one has multiple references throughout.

Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for a copy of this book for an honest review in return.  I honestly loved this book so that is easy to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment