Monday, November 28, 2016

"And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer" REVIEW




"And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer" by Fredrik Backman

A novella published by Atria Books (Simon & Schuster)

Finished  11/28/16 -  5/5 stars

What an absolutely beautiful novella, so heartfelt and touching.  Based on the letter to the reader in the front of the book, I believe Mr. Backman is losing someone dear to Alzheimers himself which is why I believe there is so much compassion built into this short story.  He’s pouring part of himself into Ted and Noah, the son and grandson of the older gentlemen slowly slipping away.  I think this novella is a tribute to his loved one, but I’m sure many can relate to the emotions involved.
When I first went to read this, it was the end of the day and I was exhausted.  As impossible as it may seem for such a short book, I feel asleep while reading and thus was confused about what I had read.  When I picked it back up the next day, I started over and read it straight through.  I’m so glad I did.  This is a story that needs to be read in one setting.  You won’t want to put it down anyway, but to experience the full emotions meant to be felt, it should be read straight through.
I have now read three out of four of Mr. Backman’s books and have loved each and every one.  And am over the moon to hear there is a new one coming out this spring for me to enjoy as well.  He just might become my new favorite author.  He always manages to make me both laugh and cry all in one book.
Thank you to both Atria Books (Simon and Shuster) and Net Galley for a copy of this wonderful novella in return for an honest review.  I greatly appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment