Tuesday, August 16, 2016

"Insidious" by Catherine Coulter Review

“Insidious” by Catherine Coulter
Pulbished by Simon & Schuster
Finished 8/16/16 – 3/5 stars

I’ve see Catherine Coulter’s name for years but had yet to actually read one of her many books until now.  Unfortunately, I think the fact that I haven’t read her before is why this book is a 3 rather than a 4.  I enjoyed the stories (there are actually 2 separate, unrelated mysteries) and yes, this book can stand alone without having read the other 19 books in the series prior, however, I think I would have greatly benefited by having read some of the prior books.  If I knew more of the background of the main characters I would have been more attached to them and had better insights into their thoughts and beliefs.  The more you know a character, the more you understand them and the choices they make.  When an author writes a series, they can’t be too repetitive with information from prior books because those that have read the entire series already know the background and prefer not to have too much repeated – it takes away from the new story.  So, my take away from reading this book……I need to start from the beginning and go read the first in the series – “The Cove”.  Based on this book, I think I'll enjoy it and eventually read the entire series.
In this book, one of the FBI main characters is sent to CA to try and solve a case in which a serial killer is targeting young actresses.  Back in DC, two of the other main FBI characters are trying to find out who is trying to kill a very wealthy family friend.  They are two unrelated mysteries and both have little twists at the end.
If you have read her other FBI series, I would recommend you read this book as well.  If you haven’t, I think you need to join me in starting at the beginning because I have a feeling it will be worth it.
Thank you to Net Galley and Simon & Schuster for an advanced copy of the book in return for an honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment