Friday, August 19, 2016

"Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family" Review



“Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family” by Amy Ellis Nutt

Published by Random House

Finished 8/19/16 – 5/5 stars!

 

When I saw the picture of Nicole on the cover of this book, I remembered seeing her in a documentary I watched a few years back regarding transgenders.  I immediately knew it was a book I wanted to read.  I don’t know any transgenders personally (that I know of) but I do know there are a couple at my daughters’ high school and that our county is one of those currently struggling to provide equal rights to those children in our school system.  I am very supportive of that cause and hope they do the right thing, but wanted to read more about Nicole’s journey to get a better understanding of what these children go through and the effects it has on them and their families.  This book definitely delivered.

Some people think a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity is a choice….it’s not.  It is not something you just change….you are born that way.  It’s a matter of accepting it and adjusting life to embrace one’s true self.  I believe this book can help people understand that.  Maybe open some doors and windows to those living close-minded lives, to become more accepting of others that aren’t like them, that might go against their religious beliefs.  Knowledge is the key – this book can provide some of that.

Whatever your beliefs, I hope you will take the time to read this book.  If nothing else, it will let you know what it’s like to be a little boy that wants nothing to do with being a boy.  He’s a “girl-boy” and prefers it that way until he can realize his dream of truly becoming a girl – to then dress how she wants, act how she wants, and be accepted as one of the girls.  Because truly, that is what she is.  The innocent minds of children can accept her as she is, it’s those darn close minded adults that get in the way. 

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars, not because it’s beautifully written or a great literary piece.  I give it 5 stars because it is a wonderful story of love and commitment, finding one’s self, supporting others, diversity, and acceptance.  It’s not preachy or critical, it’s honest and educational (without feeling educational).  It is truly moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment