Tuesday, June 7, 2016

"The Chilren's Crusade" Review


“The Children’s Crusade”

By Ann Packer

Published by Scribner

Finished 6/7/16  -  3/5 Stars

 

When I read “The Dive From Clausen’s Pier” a few years ago I absolutely loved it and gave it 5 stars so was disappointed when I read “Songs Without Words”, which was just a 3 star read for me.  When I saw Ann Packer had a new book coming out last year called “The Children’s Crusade”, I was anxious to read it with hopes it would be as good as Clausen’s so I dove right in.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t get into it so I put it aside to try again another day – I couldn’t completely abandon it because I felt it had potential.  Fast forward a year and I was ready to give it another try – after all, sometimes you simply have to be in the right mindset to enjoy a book.  This time I finished it……but it was just another 3 star read for me.  I enjoyed it, but just didn’t love it.  I did like the majority of the characters (the mother is truly the worst character, no redeeming qualities) and there was plenty of dysfunction in the family to keep you “entertained” but I don’t think it quite flowed well together.  I’m not sure if it was the way it was written with chapters devoted to different characters or if the characters themselves just didn’t mesh well.  The storyline was good and the characters were well developed but I truly think if it had been written in a single point of view or simply narrated instead, it probably would have been more enjoyable.  Obviously, that’s just my opinion.  And I’m not giving up on Ann Packer – I’m sure she’s got another 5 star read in there for me one day.

Thank you to Net Galley and Scribner for the advanced copy in return for an honest review.  Granted, the “advanced” part didn’t really come in handy for me since it’s now a year later.  Sorry about that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment