Sunday, June 19, 2016

"First Comes Love" review

“First Comes Love”
By Emily Giffin
Published by Random House
Finished 6/18/16 – 3/5 stars
 
This is the story of two sisters with quite different personalities whose relationship becomes very strained after an accident takes someone dear from their lives.  Fifteen years later they can begin to see how that fateful night has affected their lives, their relationships, and the need to make some changes.  I think of the book as a mix of a “finding oneself” story and a “coming of age” story….taking place in your late 30s.
 
I give the book 3 out of 5 stars -  I enjoyed it, but it’s not going to be on my list of favorites.  It’s more of a chick-lit book that will probably make a good beach/pool side read.  I thought the storyline itself was good, although not very realistic at times.  The character development was done fairly well – it was written with the narration alternating between the two sisters but I felt it was a little one sided as to who we had deeper insight into.  It was much more of Josie’s story than Meredith’s.
 
 To be honest…..I do not have any sisters, just sister-in-laws so I never experienced that sister bond growing up.  It could be that those with sisters will relate more to that aspect of the book and give it a higher rating.  Although I can tell you, based on my own daughters, I understand the bickering and competition part of their relationship.
 
Thank you to Random House for an advanced copy of “First Comes Love” in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment