Sunday, January 18, 2015

"True Sisters"

"True Sisters" by Sandra Dallas
Published by St. Martin's Press
Read the hardcover - finished 1/17/15


I'll be nice and give it 2.5/5 stars but truly, not a book for me. 


It's historical fiction regarding the journey of recently converted Mormons to the Zion.  They travel to the US and walk from Iowa City to Salt Lake City, pushing handcarts of their limited possessions through the heat of the prairies and the snow of the mountains.  I believe the author's intension was to have a novel showing the strengths of the women in the story but truly, all the negativity within the story overshadowed it.  I am not Mormon (and neither is the author) but throughout the book, I found it to be quite insulting to their faith.  Granted, the novel takes place during the early years of the religion where there were many issues with it such as polygamy, but I didn't feel any of the positives of the religion were represented and I'm sure there were some even back then.  After all, the religion did survive and is quite a strong faith.


The other issue I found was that it seemed repetitive at times.  It needed the storylines to vary a little more or just cut some of it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment