Sunday, November 5, 2023

Day


“Day” by Michael Cunningham
Published by Random House
Finished 11/5/23 – 2/5 stars

 
Let me be completely honest, I only finished this book because it was so short (275 pages) and I had free time.  I thought it fell flat and just wasn’t for me.  I went into it knowing Michael Cunningham is one to “over-write” a story based on The Hours (3 stars for me) but thought the idea of the story taking place on the same day in NYC for 3 years could be interesting so wanted to give it a try.  4/5/19 took up about half the book, introducing the characters (all dysfunctional); 4/5/20 was about a quarter of the book yet barely touched on the pandemic even though the world was in chaos at point; and then 4/5/21 was the last quarter.  One of the ways I think it went wrong was that there were too many character’s points of view for such a short book, covering so little time.  I think if there were less characters and more storyline for those characters, it would have been better.
 
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House for the complimentary copy of this book.  As always, the opinions expressed within this review are completely my own.
 
#Day
#MichaelCunningham
#RandomHouse
#NetGalley
#2023Reads
#LynnsBookReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment