Thursday, June 2, 2022

Bloomsbury Girls

 

“Bloomsbury Girls” by Natalie Jenner

Published by St Martin’s Press

Finished 6/2/22 – 3/5 stars

Let me first state for the record, I had not read “The Jane Austen Society” prior to reading this book.  I have since found out that “Bloomsbury Girls” is a continuation of the life of one of the characters from the first book.  Although this book can stand on its own, it is quite possible that if I had read the first book, I would have enjoyed this one more.  I did find it to have quite a slow pace though.  A little too slow at times. 

This is a historical fiction novel that takes place in a 100 year old bookstore in England during the early 1950s.  It’s not really centered around historical events per se, but more related to authors and the literary world back then, including the struggle female authors faced to be treated seriously and have their books read.  The female lead characters also face the same struggle while working in the male run bookstore. 

Thank you to NetGalley and St Martin’s Press for gifting me with an advanced copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment