Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Pachinko


 

“Pachinko” by Min Jin Lee

Published by Grand Central Publishing

Finished 4/13/22 – 4/5 stars       

 I’ve had this book on my shelf for 4 ½ years.  I don’t know why it took the mini-series to come out for me to finally pull it down to read, but I’m glad it did.  Not only was it an enjoyable read, but I also learned a little Korean and Japanese culture and history.  One of the benefits of reading historical fiction is that you tend to get more of a “personal” insight into historical events that you don’t get from reading a textbook. 

 This novel is a multi-generational story that takes place between 1910 and 1989, beginning in Korea and then moving to Japan.  The majority of the story revolves around one family but there are a few offshoot characters with mini storylines as well.  There is love and loss, struggles and accomplishments, and battles with both inner demons and real-life bullies.  It’s not a page-turner but it keeps your attention.  I definitely recommend it.

 Now I’m off to go watch the show 😊

 

#Pachinko

#MinJinLee

#GrandCentralPublishing

#2022Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment