Wednesday, January 5, 2022

The Last House on the Street

 

“The Last House on the Street” by Diane Chamberlain

Published by St. Martin’s Press

Finished 1/5/22 – 5/5 stars!!

 

What a great way to kick of my year of reading!  Truly a book I didn’t want to put down.  If work and life in general didn’t get in the way, I probably would have read this in one sitting.  I was just drawn to the main characters, especially Ellie.  She was by far my favorite, especially the 1965 version of her.  Her drive, compassion, and wish for a better world for others to live in consumes her and then changes her.  She’s a person I would want to be friends with in real life.

This story is told in alternating timelines, both taking place in the same county in North Carolina.  And as you can imagine, 1965 NC is a much different place than 2010 NC.  In 1965, Ellie is drawn to volunteer for SCOPE against her family’s wishes.  It was an organization that brought in white college students to help the black communities register to vote – and in Klan territory, that is not a simple task.  In 2010, Kayla is a recently widowed single mom, moving into a new house, trying to make a fresh start for her and her daughter.  But there is history on the land her house now sits.  History that will bring Kayla and Ellie together to find answers to exactly what happened on that plot of land in 1965.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for an advanced copy of this wonderful book.  I had only read one of Ms. Chamberlain’s books prior, although many are on my to-read list.  Those books now need to come to the front of that list because I’m sure I’ll enjoy them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment