Thursday, March 23, 2017

"Ill Will" by Dan Chaon - BOOK REVIEW



"Ill WIll" by Dan Chaon
Published by Random House

Finished 3/23/17  -  2/5 stars

I struggled through this book.  The storyline had promise, but I didn’t enjoy the writing.  At times it seemed to just ramble, other times it was confusing, and there were a few times I was just frustrated with it – especially with the dialog.  This was quite a surprise to me because I had heard good things about this author so was excited to finally read one of his books.

This novel is centered on a family massacre in the past as well as a series of murders in the present day.  There are various potential scenarios regarding the past murders that I don’t feel are ever fully proven but then you are provided with an answer to the present day murders, and truly it wasn’t a surprise.  I feel like the book just didn’t live up to its potential regarding the story itself.  It was a good idea, but lacked the writing to make it work well and the ending just left too many questions unanswered. 

Thank you to Net Galley and Random House for an advanced copy of the book in return for an honest review.  I’m sure it’s not what you wanted to hear, but the agreement is for me to be honest so I’ve had to do just that

No comments:

Post a Comment