Thursday, September 1, 2016

"The Cuckoo's Calling" Review

“The Cuckoo’s Calling” by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling)
Published by Little Brown
Finished 8/31/16 – 3/5 stars
Let me first say that my opinion is not affected by a comparison to the way the Harry Potter books were written.  I think I read one and then my daughters read the others on their own.  Plus, those were children’s books so I don’t really think they should be compared.  I have, however, read a great deal of mysteries and found myself comparing this book to some of those.  Because of that, I am giving this book just an OK rating.  When I read a mystery, there needs to be suspense.  I like to be on the edge of my seat multiple times throughout the book.  It needs to be a true page turner.  Not necessarily the entire time but at least some.  Not only did this book not have that, I felt that part of the conclusions came out of left field.  There is nothing wrong with a surprise ending (I prefer them), but most of those come with some foreshadowing that you just didn’t realize at the time.  For this story, I had no issue with who the guilty party ended up being, but I did have a little issue with the way the detective apparently figured some of it out.  It seemed all wrapped in a bow in which half of the bow was made of magical ribbon.
With that being said, I did enjoy the story line and the characters.  Although not full of suspense, I did want to continue picking it up to find out what really happened so there were positives within the reading experience.  It’s a good book…..just not great.  This is the first in a series in which two more books have been released so far and the average rating seems to improve with each one so maybe I’ll enjoy the others more.

No comments:

Post a Comment